Welcome to my first post of 2016!
While I’d love to say that it is filled with loads of exciting things I’ve been up to over the last three days, my life sadly isn’t that exciting. For me, the first three days of 2016 have been dedicated to a lovely slow wind down in anticipation of my return to work on Monday. Keeping with that theme, in this post I’ve included some of the favourite moments from my Christmas holiday along with the blog posts and articles that have caught my attention whilst I’ve been spreadeagled on the sofa in a festive food coma….
- My friend Alex took me on ‘behind the scenes’ tour of Lincoln Cathedral | 2. One of our Christmas Day dishes was a Roast Cockerel, which played second fiddle to a Beef Wellington. | 3. I made Nigella’s Coca Cola Ham for the first time – and I was lucky enough to receive a like & comment from her over on Instagram! | 4. My mother’s poinsettia, in full bloom, was a glorious addition to the Christmas decorations. | 5. I managed to get Eddie, my fat ginger Maine Coon, to pose in a Santa hat. It didn’t last long, as you may be able to tell from his expression! | 6. Playing around with my prime lens, I really loved this bokeh shot I took of the Christmas tree lights.
- Did you watch Sherlock on New Years Day? Sherlockology were lucky enough to visit the set whilst the episode was filming, and the behind the scenes is fascinating!
- I’m in awe at Lucy’s colourful crochet round for 2015. Just look at how beautiful her blankets are.
- This article from The Kitchn provides a great tutorial on how to make an awesomely rich French onion soup. Hint: the trick is to caramelise the onions properly.
- Carrie visited the oldest continuously inhabited residential street in Britain – seriously cool stuff if you’re a history geek like I am!
- Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve pretty much doubled my weight over Christmas. Luckily, Buzzfeed has this awesome post listing all sorts of dishes you can make with Courgetti. I’m saved.
- Kelly shows why every blogger needs to invest in a prime lens for their DSLR.
- Every year, I take part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. In 2015, I read 37 books. In 2016, I aim to read 75. Why not come join in?
- The 20 Best TV Shows of 2016 – I’m really looking forward to ‘The Crown’ and ‘Victoria’, but more Cumberbatch looks good too!
7. My Aunt’s cat, Milly, allowed me to take this shot of her on Christmas Day. I paid her to model with some grooming. | 8. I love, love open fires/woodturners. We roasted chestnuts on this one on Christmas Day. | 9. Whilst I’ve been lounging on the sofa during the festive season, I’ve enjoyed catching up on some sock knitting. Do you like the festive yarn I chose? | 9. Nigella’s Bûche de Noël is a Christmas tradition in our house. As usual, it didn’t last long! | 10. I’ve finally bought the new prime lens for my camera that I’ve been lusting over for months. | 11. Alec & I enjoyed a simple New Years supper of French Onion soup, which I made in the new cast iron casserole dish he bought me for Christmas.
How have you spent the last few days of your holiday? I’ve been up to my ankles in mud today and spent my afternoon trying to dry out from the torrential rain we’ve been having down here. I’m curled up with a book right now, but I’m still fairly cold. A hot bubble bath may be calling me!