So, how has your week been?
I must say, I’ve been really enjoying my nights in front of the TV. The latest series of Call the Midwife and the new adaptation of John Le Carre’s The Night Manager have ensured my bottom has been rooted firmly to the sofa with knitting and a cup of tea in hand.
Much to the neglect of my best attempts to get back into a regular reading routine (sigh…) I’ve also been re-watching some of my favourite TV shows and films whilst working on my knitting projects. I know it’s very, very sad but I’ll never become bored of watching the Harry Potter films or The West Wing. Likewise, I think listening to Stephen Fry read the HP audiobooks will always be my number 1 recommended cure for insomnia – his voice is so relaxing.
1. I’m really pleased with how this homemade Foccacia turned out: I made the dough in my bread machine, then baked it in the oven with sea salt & rosemary. The resulting italian sandwiches were amazing! | 2. One of those rare occasions on which I managed to take a selfie that I actually liked. | 3. My Chance of Snow cardigan is coming along really well – I can’t wait to finish it and show it to you! | 4. I tried Thai food for the first time whilst lunching with my colleagues at Suk Saran. This was Black Pepper Beef – very nice but nothing too amazing. | 5. Sorting out the sock yarn scraps for my blanket.It’s going to be colourful for sure! | 6. Honestly, these are the best green olives I’ve ever tasted – I polished off a whole pack in one sitting! You can pick them up at Abel & Cole or Waitrose.
Links I’m loving…
- Sarah’s Askew Me shawl really makes me want to try brioche knitting.
- Like most people when they’ve had a bad day or quite a lot to drink, I’m partial to the odd McDonalds. This article scared me even more than ‘Supersize Me’, as it shows even in occasional quantities, it’s worse for you than you might think.
- Rose’s beautiful photos are again making me quite green with envy. Even if she is in ‘The Other Place’ (which is what we Cantabs call ‘Oxford’).
- Did you know that, according to Ravelry, the most common colour for knitted socks is blue? No, neither did I. But apparently Rachel found that out. (I’ve only made one pair of blue socks, to date).
- For me, Rose cordial usually ends up mixed up with gin & soda water. Rachel, however, had the great idea of soaking strawberries in it and serving it with freshly made waffles. (NB – I bought a waffle maker just to try this out, and I can confirm it’s an excellent combo. Also, any leftover strawberries are EXCELLENT in a gin & soda. Just saying.)
- Knowing Will as I do, the idea of his visiting a branch of Whole Foods made me chuckle even before I read his article over at In Good Taste. Kale & Chia smoothie, anyone?
- Lee’s Harry Potter character crochet blanket is the stuff of crafting legend. There’ll be more on this soon…
- Being the huge political geek that I am, I have of course pre-ordered Tom Bower’s new book: ‘Broken Vows: Tony Blair the Tragedy of Power’. Wednesday night is going to be wild – thank you, Amazon Prime! (N.B. I will actually read this and not just bitch to you about how little reading I’m doing. Blair is my pet dislike in British Politics).
7. After hearing Alec rave about Franco Manca’s pizzas, I finally had the opportunity to try one. I have to say it lived up to my very high expectations – the dough to topping ratio was perfect. Recommended! | 8. I love the colour of this bouquet from M&S – so vivid and they smelled divine. | 9. Without a doubt, one of the best things about my visit home was seeing my cats. Here is Eddie doing what we call his ‘Superman’ pose. | 10. I might have mentioned this before but I absolutely adore the smell (and taste) of roses. As a payday treat, I went a little bit overboard at Lush and bought their ‘Roses all the way’ soap and ‘Rose Bombshell’ bath bomb. | 11. I know, I know – yet more sock yarn! This time, two different Rainbow skeins from Jillian of Mothy & the Squid. | 12. I tried my hand at making my own Peri Peri chicken for my desk lunches: using a little olive oil & spice mix, I marinaded it overnight then baked it until golden. Delicious and economical!
Oh, and here’s something funny to end on: the most sarcastic looking cat of all time, my Maine Coon, Murphy…
And yes, he has that witheringly cynical ‘What the hell are you doing?’ look full time.
Like owner, like cat. Or so they say.